Title Image

Title Image

About:

This blog is predominately about camera trapping in California. We camera trap to save our souls and to teach primary school students about biology and conservation. We will also touch on other camera trapping news and musings, sets from afar, mediocre herpetology, sucky birding, and other natural history discussions.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Link Dump


Slender Salamander
Batrachoseps gavilanensis - Gabilan Mountains Slender Salamander



Nobel Prize Week was a little "meh" this year.  I am not super excited about the Physiology and Medicine or the Chemistry prizes.  Deserving for sure, but the winning topics are just not of much interest to me.  I am NOT a crystallographer. I can barely stay awake during their talks. Despite trying, I have very little appreciation for poetry, so it is tough to get excited about the Literature Prize.

However, my alma mater gets a share of the physics prize and the oldest joke in Berkeley continues. "Q: What is better than winning a Nobel Prize? A: The free lifetime parking pass." It does remind me of one of my first days at college when I saw two cars double parked in the NL spot east of Memorial Glade. It made me realize the bar was pretty damn high and scared the hell out of me.

Salmon vandals strike.  I was a part of the United Anglers program way back in the late '90s where CTC went to High School. At least the fish were unharmed, but it must have been emotionally devastating.  Releasing fish you had spent a year raising from egg was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had.

A study of 300 Sea otters tells us ...? Well, they are still trying to figure it out.

Rains are here already and it is predicted to be a cold wet winter.  Time to start thinking about getting out the rain gear and doing some salamander hunting. I need to get my flashes fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment