Title Image

Title Image

About:

This blog is predominately about camera trapping in California. We camera trap to save our souls and to teach primary school students about biology and conservation. We will also touch on other camera trapping news and musings, sets from afar, mediocre herpetology, sucky birding, and other natural history discussions.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Dusky Warbler

Went hunting for the Dusky Warbler at Coyote Point Marsh in San Mateo first found by Logan Kahle and Bob Toleno on 10/8.

Admittedly this is a bird I never would have IDed correctly if I had run into it by myself without knowing it was there, but once you know what to look for and a shit ton of patience we were able to find it. That supercilium almost makes it look like a wren.

Arrived a touch after 10am and a few people were already staked out. After maybe 30 minutes Adam Dudley and Dorian Anderson got a quick 3 second look, while I was busy looking at the wrong bird, a dull common yellowthroat. Then a lot of time went by without hearing or seeing it. At about 1pm I decided to give up and head back to the car. On the path back I ran into another birder, Patrick, that separated from the group and had just got on the bird. This time the bird gave us much better looks. Still skulking in the shadows and not sitting still for very long, but longer than 3 seconds. We saw it off and on for about 45 minutes, when I decided it was finally time to go into lab.


SMC-0443

SMC-0446

SMC-0439

SMC-0447

SMC-0437

SMC-0425

SMC-0445
This is what a dusky warbler's butt looks like

I got a new camera recently and I have gotten it out only a few times so far. Damn grant writing and bench science screwing up my photography game. This yellow-rumped warbler is far from crushed, the focus is a bit off, but I am posting them anyways to be able to compare to 6 months from now when I get a little better with the camera. Hopefully my easy bird picture taking abilities improve quickly

SMC-0430

SMC-0429

Speaking of easy birds, this black phoebe was sitting on the same culvert that the dusky warbler was skulking around. Use that as a reference if you go out on the search.

SMC-0418

SMC-0417

SMC-0415

And finally a couple of Mallards and a coot, because why not, new camera.

SMC-0403

SMC-0406

SMC-0405

The end

2 comments:

  1. Sweet DUWA shots!!! Seems like you got some really good looks, considering the species. I knew some good shit would show while I was in MA...

    What is the new rig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. Sorry you missed it, but I am guessing you saw the one last year?

      I went mirrorless for the new rig. Fuji xt2 with the 100-400mm lens. These also had the 2x extender. Its so much lighter than even my Canon Rebel XTi that I will be much more likely to carry it out in the field for jaunts further than a typical birders walk.

      Delete